Thursday, December 18, 2003

The first vinyl LP I ever had that wasn't a Disney story... was Tommy James and the Shondells - Mony Mony. It had a yellow and orange checkerboard label in the middle that would blur like sherbert when the record was spinning at 33. I would play it on an old portable record player, about the same size as my old twin bed it seemed. It was a hard plastic contraption that you opened up like a clam shell. The top half was white, the bottom was sea blue - and it had one tiny speaker in the bottom right hand corner. It sat on my bedroom floor, shoved up against the wall across from my heater...so that even in the winter I could sit there indian-style, and listen to my tunes. Or tune, rather. I didn't really dig the rest of Tommy James' LP - I just liked that one song. HEY Mony mony..... what the hell does that mean anyway? Even Billy Idol couldn't explain it to me.

No comments: