Friday, January 23, 2004

I've had dreams lately....

...odd, peculiar dreams. Noteable, to the point where I made certain to write them down in order to share. They've been GLORIOUSLY detailed. Vivid...sprawling dreams. So many that in actuality there are too many to tell. But one night in particular was incredible. Although I am departing from my normal journal entries....I will share one more dream.

It began with mist. I could sense it all around me, a thick harbor mist tainted with salt and deep ocean. It was brushing my face, and I opened my eyes when I felt the ground beneath me moving in a slow rolling motion. I glanced down, and realized I was not standing, but in fact sprawled wide leg upon something. Almost as if riding a horse, but my legs were spread far too wide for a horse. Within the dream, my vision panned back...and I realized I was straddling a mammoth elephant. Not just a 'big' elephant, we're talking the size of a ship. HUGE. Moving slowly, although I knew it wasn't really moving slowly, it was just it's size making it seem so. I heard waves then, mixed in with the heavy draughts of breath from the elephant. I looked to my right, and without being startled...I discovered that the elephant and myself were actually standing smack dab in the middle of a huge shipping lane, with ocean vessels moving past us, out in the fog. There we were, in the midst of all these cargo ships.... and it wasn't startling at all. In fact, it made so much sense. My elephant was big enough that his legs were plunged far into the sea to the sandy floor, and he was going to carry me across the water along with all these ocean liners. I spotted then that behind the huge blankets of his ears, were two stairways running down along the back of his jaw; my escape route. I didn't take it however, and knew I was safe with my elephant.



My dream shifted then, and I was suddenly standing on a boardwalk by the seaside. It was very dark out, almost impossible to see...until I noticed that there was daylight off some hundreds of yards out in the water, in a strange arc. I was in a cave! A cave, with a small township within it, and I was standing by the water's edge looking towards the mouth of the cave. There was a wooden dock that went out into the water, but unlike most that jut into the sea upon pilings high enough that the tide does not sweep one off one's feet....this one was resting right on the water, like a dock on a lake might. My husband was with me, and wanted to take a picture of me. I was a bit reluctant...as he wanted me to walk out onto the dock, and I had noticed some high waves coming in through the mouth of the cave, into the dark water (it seemed as dark as night, in that cave) - but I went anyway. I walked across the damp dock boards, turned...and peered back at the shoreline where he had the camera ready. It was then I heard a rushing sound, and sure enough...just after the picture snapped a huge wave came up out of the inky deep and swept me off the dock. I plunged into the water that was neither warm nor cold...and fully expected to go swirling to the bottom. But, the wave lifted me up much like a surfer...and I found myself riding the crest of it all the way back to shore where I was unceremoniously spit out onto the sand. I wasn't scared, just a bit put off that my clothes were wet...and after plucking the remnants of seaweed off my jeans, I started walking towards the lights of the little town nestled against the back of the massive cave.

The dream did not end there... but the depth of detail was captured most in those first two 'episodes'. And now that I've shared... we can continue on with our normally scheduled programming. . .


No comments: