Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Do you ever have dreams that are so real, and yet...so surreal... that they stay with you long after you've woken up? I cannot stop thinking about this one. I wasn't going to update my writing until tonight, but I had to capture this dream before it slipped into the grey area and was lost forever.

I was a gypsy. I had bright colored skirts, and was amongst other gypsy friends. We were at a marketplace, and there had been a skirmish moments before my arrival. I asked one of my friends (a young man with willowy thin features, dark brown eyes and enviable lips) if everyone was alright, and he said that they were, but that we were going to move our festivities elsewhere.

I followed him down the street, but was sidetracked by a vendor selling wares beneath an outdoor tent cover. His table was strewn with ornate pens and pen boxes, as well as kaleidescopes with beautiful stained glass prisms. There was one particular pen that caught my eye, having a dark black base with silver arabesques curled all over it. I looked closer, and realized the swirls spelled out "Sullivan" on the side of the pen. I was very excited about this, and I told the vendor I really wanted the pen, but had no money. He said that I could borrow it, and pay him back later, but to tell no one. I really wanted one of the kaleidescopes too, but didn't ask him for one. He didn't give me a pen box, so I put the pen in a small purple velvet satchel that I was carrying, though it made me nervous ...I really didn't want to break or lose the pen.

My friends were gone by the time I was done, but it didn't bother me, and I found myself walking into a small room off a side street, filled with pillows. I felt comfortable there and laid down, somehow sensing that this room belonged to me. There was a faint fluttering sound, and when I looked up at the ceiling, there was a giant moth circling the light fixture. It definitely wasn't a butterfly, but its wings were opalescent, very shimmering... almost white at first glance, then with shiny rainbow effects when the light would hit just right. I was glad to have it there, because I knew it would not live long if it were outside. For some reason, I knew it's name was Ultraviolet. This is where the dream ends.....

I am not certain who "Sullivan" is...or why the name upon the pen is so important, but I would love to know....

No comments: