Sunday, January 04, 2004

A detour from my daily stories. If you've just stumbled across my blog, you may want to scroll down a bit...and find something with more meat to it. *grins*

I have this little obsession with layouts. As you can see, I've redone mine... -again-. I spent hours yesterday sorting this one out, and there may still be a few minor adjustments, but for the most part.... I am pleased. Let me know what you think of the results!

This layout actually suits my tastes perfectly. I have a thing for old postcards and letters, and it is from my collection that I chose these to scan and make into a template. I think the reason I adore old handwritten things (including diaries, which I have a couple that I have collected) is that I can so easily imagine the lives that they were from. I suppose it is the voyeur in me that marvels at reading something never really intended for my eyes.

This leads me to one of my absolute favorite book series: 'The Extraordinary Correspondance of Griffin and Sabine', by Nick Bantock.


Incredible books, not only for the story, but for the artwork that went into creating them. The story is told through letters, which you can actually pull out of an envelope and read. There is no typical 'text' in these books. You must follow the story through the maze of letters and postcards printed directly on the pages. I have first editions of all these books. CNN ran a piece on the author, Nick Bantock... for Valentine's Day last year:
CNN Interview with Nick Bantock

Now I peruse his website and drool for the art that he has on sale. If I had money to spare, I would immediately make a purchase of something that he has created. In fact I'm gazing at this gallery and wishing I had an afternoon's worth of Superstar pocket change...because I would buy every single one of these to place in a huge black matte frame for my living room. It would sit directly above the old book case, where the heavy ironwood elephants from India stand...and the collection of original Charles Dickens stories reside.
If I had a million dollars...

So if you haven't heard of these stories.... check them out. The books are pieces of art in and of themselves, and besides....doesn't everyone need a bit of mystery and adventure in their lives, even if vicariously?

"You cannot dismiss a muse at whim..." - Nick Bantock, 'Griffin and Sabine'

No comments: