Monday, August 02, 2004

The slanting afternoon sun cut through the haze of smoke from distant forest fires as we drove home yesterday. I looked down, and my skin was burnished with an amber glow. Simply beautiful... the kind of color only nature could create.

We skimmed along the bases of the cliffs, where volcanic walls rise up from the flat sage valley. The stark beauty traced by these red rock walls made me think of all the pictures which could be taken. Sky, rock, sand. Layers of color... of texture. But would a photograph whisper of the layers of silence that engulf a person who stands quiet on the dunes?

The river sparkled gently between it all. A necklace resting on the bosom of a dusky woman. I looked into the same amber light that glowed on my flesh, as it shimmered over the river. This too had a silence... leaving it's music to be played within the eyes.

It was as if I could walk over to the horizon, and the distance between myself and the Sahara would fold. Two distant points suddenly touching, because of the will of the one dreaming it into existance. Envy felt for the bird who could catch the streams high above, and float away. For them, the dream is reality. The fold occurs at whim.

I was home by the time the moon rose. It lifted up above the same cliffs I had drifted by earlier in the day, and it was enormous. It had the veil of smoke over it, with a dusting of clouds beneath. Amber, full, luminous. As if all the sunlight that had collected upon my shoulders was gathered into one heavenly spot, to gleam with the warmth that I could recall with a mere thought of the desert, and the quiet secrets therein.

2 comments:

aimee said...

Testing... since for some reason after Beth posted her comment, I cannot get another comment box to pop up.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)