Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Wanted: One bowl of chicken soup, crackers on the side - delivered by Mom.

Yes - tis the season of pounding sinus headaches and hacking bronchial coughs.

Every Spring I know I can look forward to a good week of pure self pity and Oscar worthy whining. It seems the first breath of warmer winds always has a little present or two in store for yours truly. One whiff of it and I'm on the couch, clutching my head and making peculiar little raspy noises when I try to breath.

I managed to go to work, but started to hurdle downhill before I even took the first sip of my latte. It was all I could do to keep my left eye from abandoning it's bony ship. Why do my headaches always hide behind that poor little eyeball? Do they enjoy making me look like a squinty eyed piratess?? Yarrr matey, git yer salty arses out o'me way....

At least I had a dozen pink roses to cheer me! Hubby surprised me with them yesterday, after a particularly nasty morning of having to clean up the... tsunami.... that came out of our dog and washed ashore on the carpet in front of the door. Can we all say 'gag reflex'? Yes, it was that bad.

The roses were a total delight, and kept me smiling on through this morning...even as I answerd the phone at my office with a voice that could rival Marge Simpon's. Fortunately I knew when to stop scaring the clients, and drove home relying on sheer instinct to navigate me down the highway towards home.

The next thing I knew (there's always a next thing to know...) I was building a nest on the couch made up of fluffy patchwork quilts, pillows, and my dog. I took a Tylenol, and then also a children's aspirin. I took the latter just because the doctor says one a day does a world of good. All I know is that the faint orange flavor immediately flashes me back to being a little freckled kid crawling into my mom's bed - and having her wait until I was all propped up with the pillows to hand me my children's aspirin and a glass of water to wash it down with.

There was nothing more reassuring than tasting that orange chalk, and having her tuck me into fresh crisp sheets. I mean, face it... being sick as a kid is great. You may feel miserable, but you get to completely hand over your well being to someone. Mom brings you the aspirin and water, makes you the egg sandwiches and chicken noodle soup with 7UP to wash it down with. She tucks the thermometer under your tongue, and presses a cool cloth to your brow.

She'd even turn on the FM radio to the easy listening station to lull me to sleep. Nothing like having your little kid mind spinning in slow loops from Nyquil, while the 5th Dimension sing about their Beautiful Balloon.

So I curled up on the couch this afternoon and dozed off thinking about those kinds of things.

Up up and away......

--

So here it is, early evening... and although I don't feel much better, I've mustered up some strength ( I thank the members of the Academy...) to come peck away at my journal. I have so many ideas to write about, but instead you've been subjected to the more mundane side of life. The side filled with chicken broth and room humidifiers.

On a side note - the words that my readers ( I have readers!!!) - (I like talking in parenthesis today!) - ( must be the children's aspirin...) have left for me have made me smile from eyeball to aching eyeball. Thank you so much. It's like receiving a dozen pink roses in verbal form.

And on that note, I'm heading out to get a cup of Good Earth "Sweet and Spicy" tea. If you've never had it - get it. I am officially sending you to the store with a note tucked in your pocket that says 'don't forget!'



Also - thanks to Revisionist Reese for providing an entertaining link! See below for the results to my "What Kind of Book Are You?" quiz.




You're A Prayer for Owen Meany!

by John Irving

Despite humble and perhaps literally small beginnings, you inspire
faith in almost everyone you know. You are an agent of higher powers, and you manifest
this fact in mysterious and loud ways. A sense of destiny pervades your every waking
moment, and you prepare with great detail for destiny fulfilled. When you speak, IT
SOUNDS LIKE THIS!



Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.

No comments: