Friday, July 18, 2003

There's a story behind my newest 'song of the day', Yellow - by Coldplay. When I went to London in November of 2000, Coldplay was unheard of in the States. I traveled with my headphones, knowing that at some point I would head to the Virgin Superstore in the heart of London, and do a little shopping for some music to be a backdrop to my UK experience. Sure enough, one night we wandered to the music store...which might I add is impressively decorated on the outside by massive, lifesize granite stallions rearing up out of a water fountain! Anyway, I went in and asked someone to direct me towards a really good CD that hadn't been released in the States yet. They ushered me over to "Parachutes" by Coldplay. I bought it, no questions asked. Figured it would be an adventure.

So, once we made our way back to the bed & breakfast to get settled in for the night, I lounged back on the goose-down coverlet, slipped on my headphones, and turned on my new CD. When the music flooded my senses, slightly haunting...with a vocalist who's range borders on fragile at times, and powerfully determined the next.... well, I was in love. Even though I had nearly 20 CD's with me - I didn't play another one after buying Coldplay's. So, my entire UK journey is forever marked with this music. The train rides through the country, the quiet nights tucked away in postcard b&b's...the long flight home. This song in particular was my companion. It observed my dream-come-true trip with me, and always offers up vivid flashes of memories for me every time I listen to it. So.... enjoy. I sit here listening to it, smiling to myself. "Look at the stars, see how they shine for you.....and everything that you do...."

No comments: