Sunday, May 09, 2004

Making a mental list of errands that needed running, I ducked under the blooming dogwood tree and was about to get into my Jeep when I realized I hadn't checked the mailbox yet.

I glanced over my shoulder to the plain green box jutting up off the rock wall by the road. Ehh... why bother. If there is something in there, it will most likely be bills, junk mail, or at the very most... an issue of Rolling Stone.

So I backed out of the driveway and headed down the road without giving it another thought.

When I finally came back home, I hoisted up the grocery sacks to avoid the inevitable dog-sniffing, and jangled my keys into the lock. But low and behold, when I went to deposit my burden on the kitchen table... there was a good sized parcel perched there, sent to me from someone named Yogi Tea.

After pondering who in this world I knew with such a peculiar name, I realized (admittedly a bit slowly...) that it wasn't a person, but a business who had sent me a mystery package.

I deftly sliced open the wrapping tape, and when I folded back the cardboard, the scent of chai and raspberry engulfed me. I pulled out a sheet of fine paper with asian embellishments across the top in crimson. "Congratulations!" it read. "Please enjoy sampling this selection of Yogi Tea."

Well now, how about that?? I dug into the package and pulled out six full size boxes of tea! Rasberry Leaf, Egyptian Licorice Mint, India Spice Chai, African Redbush Peach, and Raspberry Ginger. There was a vague teasing memory of signing up for some free samples of tea... online? In a shop? I couldn't recall. But apparently I won, in a big way! I'd be set in the tea department for some weeks with this little cache!

So, lining the boxes up on the table, I felt quite chuffed at the unexpected perk to my day. Nothing like some fragrant tea arriving out of the blue to make me hum through a smile.

Never underestimate an unopened mailbox.



"Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: we taste only sacredness." -Rumi-

No comments: